Too often, the gut is overlooked for the role it plays in our health and wellness. When you have intestinal permeability – otherwise known as leaky gut – all the things that are in your intestines can seep into the blood stream and your body. Gross, right? Leaky gut is also incredibly harmful to your health.
1. Leaky gut causes your immune system to revolt.
To put it graphically, leaky gut is like a bag of garbage that is slowly releasing its mashed-up contents. And when undigested food particles, bacteria, and toxins leak out of the intestine, your immune system revolts. This reaction makes sense, since almost 75 percent of your immune system is in your gut.
It’s not only what comes out of the intestines that’s problematic, it’s what the intestine is limited in doing. Leaky gut means this organ is unable to produce the enzymes needed for proper digestion. The body is unable to absorb essential nutrients and, therefore, the immune system becomes weakened.
Thankfully, you don’t need to get a new trash bag to fix your gut – you just need to identify the source of the revolt and rebuild your system so it’s strong and impermeable.
2. Your gut influences how you feel from head to toe, inside and out.
The health of your gut has everything to do with your overall health and well-being. When you have leaky gut combined with gastrointestinal distress, you can suffer from a buffet of chronic conditions and illnesses, including:
- Skin problems – eczema
- Mental health issues – anxiety and depression
- Respiratory complications – asthma
- Pain – arthritis
- Digestive problems – Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, food allergies, and irritable bowel
- Other conditions – diabetes, chronic fatigue, hormonal imbalances, or migraines
How can a skin condition be caused by your digestive system? Your gut is a powerful part of the body, and its strength and wellness impact how you feel and how your systems work.
3. What you put in your body impacts how your intestines behave.
Eating well takes commitment and knowledge, but once you have these tools, feeding your body the healthy way will come easy. While your DNA and overall health play their own roles in your risk of developing leaky gut, there are other habits that contribute, too:
- Eating too many refined sugars.
- Excessive use of antibiotics.
- Unhealthy reliance on over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Nutritional deficiencies.
- High alcohol consumption.
- Chronic stress.
4. Leaky gut symptoms can masquerade as other problems.
Chronic fatigue, sugar cravings, joint pain, chronic gas or bloating, chronic diarrhea or constipation, skin rashes, and headaches are all potentially symptoms of digestive and gastrointestinal distress, but they could also indicate the presence of leaky gut.
The holistic approach to healthcare is to determine the source of a health problem and treat it there, not just address the symptoms. With the support of the holistic specialists at Ann Arbor Holistic Health, together we will determine what’s wreaking havoc on your immune system, balance your gut, and help you establish a sustainable healthy lifestyle for your best life. Contact us today to take control of your wellness.